Happy New Year! I think we're all ready to say goodbye to 2020. Looking for ways to liven up your 2021? We came up with some ideas for things to do here in Wicomico County.
At the beginning of 2020, we published a post called Ten Things You Must Do in Wicomico County This Year. The post was written before the COVID-19 pandemic changed all of our lives, but it still would have been possible to do everything on the list except for see a Delmarva Shorebirds game, since they didn't play this year.
Here are some ideas for 2021:
1. Have a picnic. Once the weather warms up again, enjoy the outdoors by bringing a picnic blanket and some food to a local park. Wicomico County is home to over 50 parks and outdoor facilities, so there are lots of options. You could make lunch at home or get carryout from a local restaurant.
2. Visit a new-to-you park. With more than 50 options, it's probably unlikely you've been to all of Wicomico County's parks. Visit one you've never been to before, or one you haven't been to in years.
3. Take photos. This fall, we hosted our first Wicomico County Photo Walk, in which a group of photographers got together at Pemberton Park to take photos. We do plan to host future photo walks, but you can take photos anytime. You don't have to have the latest and greatest gear, either. We host an annual Photo Contest, too.
4. Slow down. There's a sign in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, that reads, "You're at the beach... relax and slow down." The same goes for the Eastern Shore and Wicomico County. We have a more relaxed pace of life here, and 2021 will be a great time to explore a small village like Whitehaven, or the waterfront areas along the Nanticoke River.
5. Make art. On last year's list, we included "Enjoy the arts." That's still a fun idea, but in 2021, how about making your own art? One option is trying the pottery wheel at The Mudhud: Clay Art Studio, which opened in Downtown Salisbury this year.
6. Shop local. Whether you're shopping for yourself or for a gift, there are plenty of local businesses in town that can suit your needs. And if you haven't shopped in a while, you may find there are some new businesses in town. Both Lilac Clothing Company and Bomshell Boutique opened in Downtown Salisbury during 2020.
7. Try a new-to-you restaurant. During 2020, eat at somewhere that's new-to-you, whether you dine in, dine outside or get carryout. JoJo's Family Restaurant , Vino Garden, The Looking Glass and America's Best Wings all opened in Wicomico County this year. Or, maybe there's another restaurant you've always wanted to try but haven't made it to yet. See more dining options here. There's also a new brewery in town: Gateway Craft Brewing.
8. Go for a bike ride. Wicomico County's flat terrain and beautiful views make it a great spot for cycling. Read more in this MidAtlantic DayTrips article.
9. Learn something new. Maybe you've been to some of Wicomico County's attractions, but this year, make an extra effort to learn something. For example, did you know that one of the capybaras at the Salisbury Zoo is named Vanessa? (It's a great name, if I do say so myself.) Share the fun facts you find out with friends and family.
10. Try something new. We recently launched a new video series called "We Tried It," in which someone on our staff will be trying new things around Wicomico County. In the first edition, Marketing & Public Relations Manager Josephine Noonan tried carving a flat decoy at the Ward Museum of Wildfowl Art. We challenge you to give something new a try this year.
Photo credits, from top to bottom: Cedar Hill Park by Josephine Noonan; Whitehaven Ferry by Christopher Justice; Vanessa the capybara -- photo provided by Salisbury Zoo.